Saturday, August 14, 2010

Thoughts, and a good movie!

This is the last post today, don't worry!

It is my goal in the near future, to cook at least 1 thing per week... to do it mindfully and sincerely, and to write a thoughtful post about it.  Structure is good, and will be good for me - otherwise I'll end up writing sporadically and inconsistently.  I do need some more structure in my life, and I'm quite excited about it!  (I write this AFTER I bang out 3 late posts!)

I watched this movie today: How to Cook Your Life, about zen chef Edward Espe Brown.  It was absolutely fascinating!  He had some really great things to say and to pass on from the person he learned from.. a couple things I liked were when he had asked for some advice, his teacher told him,
"When you wash the rice, wash the rice; when you cut the carrots, cut the carrots; when you stir the soup, stir the soup."

He also talked about giving your hands something to do - when you cook with your hands, knead bread, chop vegetables, they are fulfilling a purpose...

There were a lot of things I noted that I want to work on - patience, anger, mindfulness, being sincere..  it's all a journey, a process, and it's important to delight in that process.

I also want to work on not wasting a single drop..  he said many times in the movie, to treat cooking tools, pots and pans, and the food like it was your eyesight.  I really like this thought - everything is precious, and attention must be paid.



As for my blog - I'm in the middle of figuring out what works well, what doesn't work, how many pictures to post, how much to write... this is a learning experience and I really hit the ground at a trot (I wouldn't say running because I've been quite sporadic)... 

For now, I raise my glass of iced tea (sweetened and with a spot of milk)... cheers!

No comments: