Monday, July 26, 2010

Creamy Stovetop Mac 'n' Cheese

Last week I made Stovetop Creamy Mac 'n' Cheese. It took a long time to decide what to make, as I flipped through the pages and pages of ATK. I've been having trouble making decisions lately, what to do, what to eat, what to cook... I finally decided on this recipe because it looked easy and fast.

I had a few more "firsts"... first time overall making homemade macaroni and cheese... first experience using dry mustard - it was amazing, I mixed equal parts dry mustard and water, it smelled just like mustard! (I'm easily amused!)
It was also the first time I've dropped an egg on the floor.. classic! I actually saw the egg falling in slow motion and I remember thinking - maybe somehow, some way, it will land without breaking, bounce a little, then come to rest unharmed - and then it landed and broke all over the floor....

I cooked up the macaroni pasta without a hitch, drained it and added the rest of the ingredients... for the cheese I used that Mexican Four Blend cheese instead of cheddar because, well, it looked really good at the store. As I was mixing the cheese into the noodles it reminded me of melting the marshmallows for rice krispy treats, yum!

The ingredients are: macaroni, salt, eggs, evaporated milk, dry mustard dissolved in water, Tabasco, pepper, butter & cheddar cheese!

This recipe turned out how it was supposed to turn out, I presume.. though I feel like there is something missing from it - possibly different spices, or meat, or toss in a vegetable, I'm thinking tomatoes might be good...

BUT - this is labelled as a fast basic recipe, and as always it was a learning experience. Start with the basics!



Sidenote - a couple days later I had some leftovers and mixed in a Hebrew National dog - extremely delicious!!

No comments: